The eye works just like a camera. As soon as the light enters the eye, it changes direction. For optimal vision, the light needs to be bundled in 1 focal point inside the eye. In case of nearsightessness, farsightedness or astigmatism, the eyes are not able to focus the light correctly. We call this a refractive error. If you are currently wearing glasses or lenses, you are not alone. About 50% of the population wears glasses and 10% wears contact lenses. The most common refractive error is nearsightedness. Patients with this particular disorder need to wear glasses to look in the distance (blackboard, TV, driving a car).
Luckily refractive errors can be corrected by wearing glasses or lenses, but wearing these on a daily basis comes with its own disadvantages. Practising sport with glasses or lenses is for instance often considered problematic for our patients. And certain professions (police, fire brigade, aviation) are out of bounds for people with severe corrections. Our advanced lasers correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, cataract or presbyopia quickly, safely and sensibly. They allow you to enjoy a life without glasses or lenses.
Do you qualify for laser eye surgery?
Do you also think about living without glasses or lenses? Then refractive surgery can offer the solution. Doctor Van Cleynenbreugel has been performing refractive surgeries since 2002. Initially at the Rotterdam Eye Hospital where he was appointed head of division, then at Medifocus since 2013.
To qualify for a refractive surgery, you have to meet the following requirements:
- at least 18 years old
- stable refraction for a minimum of 1 year
- regular corneal topography
- normal corneal pachymetry
- no other aberrations of the eye
- the refractive error must not be too large
One of the most important requirements for successful treatment is the presence of certain factors that could influence the result in a negative manner.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding – the refraction can change in case of pregnancy or breastfeeding. Therefore it is better to wait until after the breastfeeding period to choose for a life without glasses
- Systemic diseases such as diabetes, mellitus or rheumatism
- Eye problems such as keratoconus, cataract or retinal abnormalities
- Amblyopia or “lazy eye” is a disorder that affects the nerves that lead visual information from the retina to the brain. This is not a refractive error and therefore can’t be treated by refractive laser surgery.
Why choose for laser eye surgery?
A successful treatment starts with the right reason. We always ask our patients why they want to be treated. These are the most common answers:
- Sport. Glasses limit your freedom of movement and are a handicap for many sports. Even contact lenses are not always a solution for these issues. They can move or fall out during sport.
- Swimming. All people that wear glasses know how annoying it is to swim without optimal vision. Those that choose to wear glasses can’t wear them in a pool because of the risk of infection. Therefore a lot of swimmers, sailors and surfers choose laser eye surgery.
- General comfort. Glasses and lenses require constant maintenance. Dirty or fogged-up glasses are a thing of the past when you choose for laser treatment.
- Costs. Glasses and lenses don’t come cheap. The cost of laser eye surgery is offset within 5 years.
- Contact lens problems. As long as you can tolerate contact lenses, they are an acceptable solution for your condition. However a lot of patients encounter difficulties sooner or later regarding their tolerance level for lenses.
- Esthetics. An important ground for laser surgery is the fact that people don’t like the look of themselves with glasses. This is a very personal thing that can’t be judged by other people.
- Young parents. Having to get out of bed in the middle of the night while looking for your glasses is a regular complaint amongst young parents.
Schedule an appointment with our eye surgeon and experience the comfort of living without glasses or lenses. Contact us online or by phone at +32 16 585958.